Schaumburg Parent University – December Caroling
Schaumburg Parent University (SPU) is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally.
Join SPU in December as we present Fa La La La … Holiday Caroling for children in early childhood through eighth grade and their families. Meet at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 10 at Stevenson Elementary School, 1414 Armstrong Lane in Elk Grove Village, and then head into the neighborhood together to sing a variety of holiday carols. After all is said and sung, return to Stevenson School for hot chocolate and camaraderie. The evening will end at 7 p.m. If you are interested in attending this event or for more information about Schaumburg Parent University, visit our website at http://sd54.org/spu.
Winter Weather and School Closings
In order to help parents better prepare for the severe cold weather and snow we often get during winters in our community, I am attaching a letter from Superintendent Andy DuRoss regarding District 54’s Severe Cold Weather Response Plan. District 54 makes every effort to keep our schools open. We want students in school learning. However circumstances beyond our control (such as extreme cold) sometimes dictate that we close. Our biggest concern in making a decision to close is whether we believe the more than 14,000 students we serve can get to school safely (whether they walk, take a bus or ride in a car). To help parents District 54 has now set specific standards for when school will be closed due to extreme cold.
Wind Chill Warning
A wind chill warning indicates that life-threatening conditions and a risk to safety exist. Measures should be taken to safeguard life and property immediately. A wind chill warning is typically issued when the wind chill will be -30 degrees Fahrenheit or colder OR the actual air temperature is -15°F.
- Classes will be cancelled.
- Extracurricular activities will be suspended.
- The announcement will be made by 6:30 a.m. at the latest. District 54 often waits until the morning to cancel school, because the weather in the Chicagoland area is constantly changing. We wait to make the decision with the hope that we can have children in school.
- All notification systems will be leveraged to send school cancellation communications to families including emails, our websites, social media and – for parents who have signed up for it – phone calls and text messaging.
If you have not yet signed up to receive a phone call or a text message on a snow day, visit http://sd54.org/schoolcancellations for instructions.
Wind Chill Advisory
A wind chill advisory is issued when conditions do not meet the wind chill warning criteria but still cause significant inconvenience. The weather during a wind chill advisory is not life-threatening but presents conditions that may result in inconveniences or pose moderate risk to safety. A wind chill advisory is typically issued when the wind chill is -20 degrees Fahrenheit or colder.
- Schools will be open. However, students will not be penalized should parents choose to keep their children home.
- Extracurricular activities may be suspended if conditions persist. Updates will be posted on school websites and parents will receive an email if after-school activities are cancelled.
- All field trips will be cancelled.
- All outside activities will be suspended, including recess and outdoor physical education.
For more information, please read the attached letter from Superintendent DuRoss.
Parents of Sixth Grade Students:
The time has arrived to begin the registration process for seventh grade. Your child will receive a student request form from his/her homeroom teacher the beginning of December. This form allows you and your child to choose elective courses for their upcoming school year at Eisenhower Junior High School. To learn more about the elective courses that are offered, we cordially invite you and your child to attend an orientation meeting on Wednesday, December 2nd.
We will have a group presentation in the gym at 6:30 PM. The Eisenhower staff will provide you with a brief overview about the life of a junior high school student. At the conclusion of the group presentation, there will be time to visit elective/exploratory teachers and after school activity sponsors to address any questions that you have.
We hope that you and your 6th grade child will be able to join us at Eisenhower on December 2nd. We look forward to meeting with you.
Steve Kern, Principal
Brandon Todd, Assistant Principal
Eisenhower Junior High School Eisenhower Junior High School
- Family Math Night: A Game-Based Celebration of Math from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Nov. 4 at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg. This class will allow parents and their children in kindergarten through third grade the chance to explore mathematical learning with fun, game-based activities.
- College Illinois! 529 Prepaid Tuition Information Session from 6-7 p.m. Nov. 12 at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg. It’s never too early to start preparing for college tuition payments. This presentation is for parents only, but babysitting will be provided.
The following information is from our school picture company, My Life Touch. You can still go online to purchase pictures.
Haven’t ordered yet? Don’t miss this year’s school picture!
- Go to mylifetouch.com
- Log in with your Portrait ID and Access Code located in your picture package